Skip to Content
  1. Commencement is not the same as degree conferral. Students can have their degrees conferred only once they have satisfied all degree requirements. In other words, confirmation of degree requirements’ satisfaction occurs once grades have been posted and final audits are complete. Notification of degree conferral takes place at the end of May. For undergraduates, a senior audit, provided on request the term before the one you wish to graduate in, will indicate if you are on track to fulfill degree requirements. If you are an undergraduate and still need a senior audit, please schedule an appointment with your advisor as soon as possible. 
  2. Both undergraduate and graduate students must apply for graduation through Wolverine Access. Additional information on the process can be found on this website. Any students needing assistance applying for graduation will want to contact the University’s Office of the Registrar.
  3. If you need to update your name on your university record so that it appears correctly on your diploma, please go to this site to make changes.

Academic Attire

If you plan to participate in the Commencement Ceremony at the Big House on May 4, academic attire (cap and gown) is required. Academic attire is not required for the Stamps School ceremony, but many students choose to wear a cap and gown if they attend both events. More information on how and where to purchase academic attire can be found here, or students can also buy academic attire through Barnes and Noble campus bookstores across the U‑M campus at any point during the year.