Envision: The Michigan Artist Initiative
January 15, 2021 – February 28, 2021
Call for Work: Monday, March 16, 2020 - Thursday, April 30, 2020
Exhibition: January 15, 2021-February 28, 2021
Public Opening and Award Ceremony: Friday, January 15, 2021
Organized by Stamps Gallery, Envision: The Michigan Artist Initiative is a new awards program designed to support the development of contemporary artists living and working in Michigan. This inaugural program recognizes the creativity, rigor, and innovation of Michigan-based artists and collaboratives — and honors their role in inspiring the next generations of artists in our state.
Open to all emerging and mid-career contemporary artists from Michigan working in all types of media to apply; 3-5 artists will be selected by a panel of prominent national jurors for a group exhibition at Stamps Gallery from January 15-February 28, 2021.
At the exhibition opening and award ceremony on Friday, January 15, 2021, one artist in the exhibition will be awarded a $5,000 prize.The exhibition will tour to different venues in Michigan, including the Crooked Tree Art Center in Traverse City.
Submission to the call for work is free; all work submitted must be recent, made within the last four calendar years (since January 2016).
- To receive the award, artists must live and work in Michigan and be a 'legal resident' or U.S. citizen.
- Artists must be at least 21 years old and not be enrolled in a University program at an undergraduate or graduate level.
- The initiative is open to emerging and mid-career artists and collaboratives living and working in Michigan.
- Emerging artists are early in their artistic careers (regardless of age), they have a small exhibition record and their practices are not yet considered well established professionally by indicators of museum exhibitions, gallery representation, publications. They have been practicing professionally for at least three years.
- Mid-career artists have passed the early stages of their careers. They have a growing body of work and whose work have attained a fair degree of public exposure through exhibitions, publications, and media coverage.
- This initiative seeks to support artists who are gaining momentum and committed to pushing the boundaries of their chosen medium. These artists are at a critical stage in their careers and in the threshold of taking their work to the next level.
- Call for Work: March 16-April 30, 2020
- July 1, 2020: Finalists announced
- January 15-February 28, 2021: Exhibition
- January 15, 2021: Public Opening and Award Ceremony Event
Questions? Please contact email@example.com.
This program is supported by The Andy Warhol Foundation for the Visual Arts.
- Envision: The Michigan Artists Initiative Launch + Information Session / Saturday, March 21, 2020, 2:00pm - 4:00pm
201 S. Division Street, Ann Arbor MI 48104 (between Liberty St. and Washington St. in downtown Ann Arbor)
Open during exhibitions Tuesday - Saturday. Closed Sundays, Mondays, and holidays.
Tue: 11am - 5pm
Wed: 11am - 5pm
Thu: 11am - 7pm
Fri: 11am - 7pm
Sat: 11am - 5pm