Undergraduate Programs

Dual/Joint Degree

The information on this page is for current U-M undergraduate students interested in a dual major involving Stamps.

If you are a prospective student looking for information about applying to U-M as a dual major, learn more about the admission process here.

Students who wish to pursue two degrees—one from the Stamps School of Art & Design (BFA or BA), and a second from another academic unit (school or college)—should read the bulletins/handbooks of both units carefully and plan a program of study that meets the degree requirements for both units.

Meeting with an academic advisor in the target school or college is a good idea.

The following guidelines apply:

  • The Stamps School of Art & Design requires that all dual degree students designate Stamps as their “home school.”
  • A minimum of 30 credits (close to one year of credits) must be completed on the Ann Arbor campus before a student may apply for a dual degree program, and the cumulative grade point average for work completed on the Ann Arbor campus must be at least 3.0.
  • The second academic unit may require additional evidence of ability such as an audition, a formal admission process, or completion of specific courses. The student meets with a representative of the second unit to determine the procedure for pursuing the second degree and to obtain signature approval for admission.
  • The student must obtain written permission to pursue a dual degree from both academic units. And of course, there’s a form for it: please contact stamps-admissions@umich.edu to request the form.

Students are encouraged to research online degree information for participating schools and colleges listed below: