Director, Stamps Gallery
Office: Stamps Gallery, 201 S. Division St.
Phone: (734) 615-5137
Srimoyee Mitra is a curator and writer whose work is invested in building empathy and mutual respect by bringing together meaningful and diverse works of art and design. She develops ambitious and socially relevant projects that mobilize the agency within creative practices and public audiences. Her research interests lie at the intersection of exhibition-making and participation, migration, globalization and decolonial aesthetics.
Mitra has worked as an Arts Writer for publications in India such as Time Out Mumbai and Art India Magazine. She was the Programming Co-ordinator of the South Asian Visual Arts Centre (2008-2010) in Toronto, where her curatorial projects included Crossing Lines: An Intercultural Dialogue at the Glenhyrst Art Gallery, Brantford. In 2011, she was appointed the Curator of Contemporary Art, Art Gallery of Windsor, where she developed an award-winning curatorial and publications program. Her exhibitions Border Cultures (2013-2015), We Won’t Compete (2014), Wafaa Bilal: 168:01 (2016) were awarded “Exhibition of the Year” by the Ontario Association of Art Galleries for three consecutive years. In 2015, she edited a multi-authored book, Border Cultures, co-published by the Art Gallery of Windsor and Black Dog Publishing and her writing can be found in journals such as Scapegoat Journal, Fuse and C Magazines.
Recent conferences and lectures include Creating a Future, O’Kinadas Residency, Complicated Reconciliations, Faculty of Critical and Creative studies, University of British Columbia, August 2016; Unsettling Urban Spaces on Borderlands, Agnes Etherington Centre and Department of Film and Media, Queens University, Kingston, Ontario, March 2016; Sensing Borders, Daniels Faculty University of Toronto, Proseminar Speakers Series, December, 2015 and Home on Border Lands, The University of Arizona School of Art, Visiting Artists and Scholars Lecture Series, November 12, 2014.
Born and raised in Mumbai, Mitra lived in Canada and India before moving to Ann Arbor, Michigan, where she is currently the Director of Stamps Gallery, Stamps School of Art and Design.
In the News
- Victors for Michigan: Campaign Celebration + Parents & Family Weekend Events
- Stamps Gallery’s Wikipedia Edit-a-thon in MLive
- Srimoyee Mitra, Stamps Gallery Featured in Grant News
- Srimoyee Mitra, Stamps Gallery Featured in MLive for $80K Warhol Foundation Grant
- Taking a Stand
- Stamps Gallery Receives $80K in Andy Warhol Foundation Support
- Stamps Gallery Hosts Inaugural Symposium: Talking About a Revolution
- Have We Met? Dialogues on Memory and Desire
- Srimoyee Mitra: Culture Track Detroit Launch Event
- Materials On Hand: The Art of Ellen Wilt
- Suzy Lake Exhibition Reviewed in Hyperallergic
- Suzy Lake Exhibition Featured
- Imagin(in)g Biologies
- Srimoyee Mitra Discusses Stamps Gallery on WEMU