Stamps School Launches Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion Fund
The Stamps School of Art & Design strives to foster a climate of inclusivity, build and support a diverse population at the school, and further racial justice in society at large through art and design. We invite the broader school community, alumni, and friends to join us in these efforts by supporting the Stamps Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion Fund
What does the Stamps School Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion Fund support?
The Stamps Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion (DEI) Fund is intended to provide support to three primary areas:
- Student Support. Stamps DEI Funding will support our graduate and undergraduate students in professional and personal development related to diversity, equity, and inclusion. This includes student-centered initiatives such as professional development and career exploration related to DEI.
- Programming. The fund will provide support to the Stamps School’s programmatic efforts and activities aimed at developing an environment that strengthens our commitment to DEI and adopts tangible, sustainable practices that are guided by our organizational mission and values. This includes curricular-centered initiatives such as newly created DEI curriculum, symposia, social justice guest speaker series, and other related concepts.
- Pre-College Programs. Gifts to this fund would also support a variety of pre-college initiatives designed to encourage K-12 students to explore art and design. Initiatives and activities include summer camps, project-based learning experiences, field trips, and more.
Join us in support of Diversity, Equity and Inclusion at the Stamps School of Art & Design. Learn more and give today.
Applying for DEI Funding
Students can apply for Student DEI Grants online; applications are reviewed on a rolling basis. Before applying for DEI Grants, students are encouraged to speak to Diversity and Inclusion Advisor Brian Banks (firstname.lastname@example.org). He may be able to help identify alternative and/or additional sources of financial assistance and/or provide useful advice. Programmatic Funding Requests should also be submitted through a formal proposal sent to Prof. Endi Poskovic (email@example.com) and Mahendra Kumar (firstname.lastname@example.org).
About DEI at Stamps
In 2015, as part of the University of Michigan’s campus-wide charge to develop strategic plans that demonstrate each school or college's commitment to diversity, equity, and inclusion, the Stamps School began to formally compile data, assess need, and create a strategic plan for Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion.
To date, the Stamps School of Art & Design has taken concrete steps toward our DEI goals through a number of activities, including:
- Town Hall meetings, including this fall’s 10/9 Stamps @ Home Virtual Forum on Race, Justice, and Equity
- Faculty grants for new and revised courses targeting DEI content and pedagogy
- Workshops to build inclusive teaching and cross-cultural competencies
- Student organization support around diversity, equity, and inclusion efforts
- New course development to support DEI goals
- Improved accessibility
- Ongoing revisions of academic and studio courses on subject-related diversity issues.
- Faculty recruitment efforts that focus on prospective faculty with proven leadership in DEI and a creative work record in areas such as social justice, creative citizenship, community engagement in underrepresented communities, public advocacy, and civil rights.