Jules Pieri (BFA ‘82), founder and CEO of The Grommet, has been named by Fortune magazine as one of the 10 Most Powerful Woman Entrepreneurs of 2013.
Looking for builders of innovative, ground-breaking and game-changing startups, Fortune’s editors chose these women from this year’s pool of more than 100 applicants:
- Sarah Collins, Founder, Natural Balance
- Sari Davidson, CEO and Chief BooginHead, BooginHead
- Ann Hand, CEO, Project Frog
- Julia Hartz, Co-Founder, Eventbrite
- Leila Janah, Founder and CEO, Samasource
- Jules Pieri, Co-Founder and CEO, The Grommet
- Maria Rios, President and CEO, Nation Waste, Inc.
- Lori Steele, Founder, Chairman and CEO, Everyone Counts
- Lisa Stone, Co-Founder and CEO, BlogHer
- Rose Wang, Founder and CEO, Binary Group
This year’s 10 MPW Entrepreneurs will be Fortune’s guests at the 2013 Most Powerful Women Summit, October 15 – 17 in Washington, D.C. They’ll join 400 other women leaders including Spanx founder Sara Blakely, entrepreneur Tory Burch, Yahoo chief Marissa Mayer, IBM CEO GInni Rometty, Facebook COO Sheryl Sandberg — and Warren Buffett.
CNN: Meet the new Fortune MPW Entrepreneurs
The Grommet is a product launch platform. This means we find unique, undiscovered products and help them succeed. Our goal is to level the playing field so the best companies can win. Until The Grommet came along in 2008, that was simply not always the case. We have attracted a powerful community of people whose enthusiasm for suggesting, sharing, and buying Grommets ensures the survival and growth of the ground-breaking companies behind them.
The Grommet is Jules Pieri’s third startup. After graduating from the University of Michigan with a BFA in Industrial Design, Jules started her professional life as an industrial designer working for computer enterprises. She soon realized the majority of our economy is shaped by consumer products companies, so she followed the action over to consumer brands as an executive at Keds and Hasbro. Jules is told she is the first industrial designer to get a Harvard MBA, where she is now an Entrepreneur in Residence.