Marisa Morán Jahn: The Mighty and the Mythic
January 24, 2019 – March 2, 2019
Stamps Gallery is proud to present The Mighty and the Mythic, a solo exhibition of work by renowned social practice artist Marisa Morán Jahn. For the first time, The Mighty and the Mythic brings together three key projects — CareForce (2012– ongoing), Bibliobandido (2010–ongoing), and MIRROR | MASK (2017–ongoing) — that highlight her deep and meaningful collaborations with low-wage immigrants, caregivers, and youth. Jahn describes her use of play and humor as essential tools that enable her and her collaborators to portray their lives with dignity, critique power, and build momentum within their community. Jahn’s practice is deeply informed by her own experiences growing up as a second-generation immigrant of Chinese and Ecuadorian heritage. For Jahn home was not a fixed place but an adaptation itself. Her varied vocational past as a schoolteacher, caretaker, woodshop cleaner-upper, lumber hauler, community organizer, and now university professor and mother informs the urgency in her work to find common ground between (her-)self and (an-)other, through the concepts of care and empathy. Each of the works in this exhibition highlights her deep engagement with the stories of everyday people, mundane routines, and a desire to build an inclusive society. Marisa Morán Jahn: the Mighty and the Mythic celebrates and acknowledges the daily struggles and minor victories of the 99 percent that make up the spirit of our society in the twenty-first century.
Artwork by Marisa Morán Jahn: The Driver (detail), from MIRROR | MASK series, featuring Darlyne Komukama. 2017, Uganda
- Penny W. Stamps Speaker Series - Marisa Morán Jahn / Thursday, January 24, 2019, 5:10pm - 6:30pm
- Opening Reception - Marisa Morán Jahn: The Mighty and the Mythic / Thursday, January 24, 2019, 6:30pm - 8:00pm
- International Coffee Hour / Friday, January 25, 2019, 4:00pm - 5:00pm
- CareForce One Travelogues Film Screening & Panel Discussion / Saturday, January 26, 2019, 1:00pm - 3:00pm
- RESCHEDULED: Bibliobandido Bookmaking Workshop with 826michigan / Tuesday, February 26, 2019, 4:45pm - 5:45pm
201 S. Division Street, Ann Arbor MI 48104 (between Liberty St. and Washington St. in downtown Ann Arbor)
Open during exhibitions Tuesday - Sunday. Closed Mondays and holidays.
Stamps Gallery will be closed July 4-5, 2019.
Tue: 11am - 5pm
Wed: 11am - 5pm
Thu: 11am - 7pm
Fri: 11am - 7pm
Sat: 11am - 5pm
Sun: 11am - 5pm