Bookmarks: Speculating the Futures of the Book and Library
March 26, 2019 – May 26, 2019
Reception: Wednesday, March 27, 5:30-7:30 pm, Shapiro Undergraduate Library (First Floor Lobby)
A multi-venue exhibition of site-specific installations, performances, interventions, and events by University of Michigan faculty, staff, and students, Bookmarks: Speculating the Futures of the Book and Library is curated by Guna Nadarajan, dean of the Penny W. Stamps School of Art & Design at the University of Michigan, in partnership with the University of Michigan Library. The exhibition will be located in several locations within Shapiro Undergraduate Library, Hatcher Graduate Library, and the Art, Architecture & Engineering Library.
The continued proliferation of digital formats and systems for the embodiment, distribution, and delivery of knowledge increasingly displace the book as form. As a result, the spacial limitations of libraries are challenged. The value of the book and the function of the library demand cultural attention. In this moment, we ask ourselves: what is the future of the library? What is the future of the book? This exhibition seeks to instigate and showcase creative responses to the challenges to the book and the library in the forms we have inherited as well as to project ways of reimagining futures for/of books and libraries.
Bookmarks: Speculating the Futures of the Book and Library is supported by the Penny W. Stamps School of Art & Design, the University of Michigan Library, the University of Michigan Office for Research (UMOR), and the University of Michigan Office of the Provost.
Sophia Brueckner: Captured by an Algorithm
Barbara Brown, Howard White & Maria Phillips: Field Notes From an Expedition: Traces of Piye in El Kurru, Sudan.
Kyle Clark: Biblionatomy
Cooper Holoweski: Nothing Everything Nothing
Masimba Hwati: Jit Cipher Circle
Osman Khan: Scheherazade 2.0 (prototype)
Heidi Kumao: Collect/Connect
Live in Color & Shei Magazine: Evolution
The MBC Cooperative (Melanie Manos & Sarah Buckius): The MBC @ The Library
Jane Prophet: DictionARy & Withdrawn Books
Mayela Rodriguez: The Latinx Library: Reimagining the Collection
Stephanie Rowden and Jennifer Metsker: In Search of the Pale Blue Spin
Will Thomson: Scrap/Books: Excess, Experience, and Ethnographic Expression
Nick Tobier: Right Place
- The Latinx Library: Cartonera-making Workshops / Thursday, March 21, 2019, 4:00pm - 6:00pm
- Opening Reception - Bookmarks: Speculating the Futures of the Book and Library / Wednesday, March 27, 2019, 5:30pm - 7:30pm
- Rachel Ivy Clarke: Presentation / Thursday, April 4, 2019, 10:30am - 12:00pm
- Sarah Vowell: Live / Thursday, April 4, 2019, 5:10pm - 6:30pm
- The Latinx Library: Cartonera-making Workshops / Thursday, April 4, 2019, 6:00pm - 8:00pm
- Panel Discussion: Why Do We Love Books? / Monday, April 8, 2019, 7:00pm - 8:30pm
- Performance: Masimba Hwati, “Jit Cipher Circle” / Wednesday, April 10, 2019, 5:30pm - 6:30pm
- Performance: ManosBuckius Cooperative, “The MBC @ The Library” / Friday, April 12, 2019, 12:00pm - 1:00pm
- The Latinx Library: Cartonera-making Workshops / Tuesday, April 16, 2019, 6:00pm - 8:00pm
- Doug Jones: Connect the Dots Creation Session / Thursday, May 23, 2019, 2:00pm - 4:00pm