2014 Alumni Exhibition: Unintended Consequences
July 14, 2014 – August 2, 2014
The theme for the 2014 Stamps Alumni Juried Exhibition is Unintended Consequences.
Theme statement: “A teacher becomes the student; anger becomes acceptance; cancer research becomes a cure for baldness; a painting becomes a film. For good or bad, our lives, our work and our art are filled with Unintended Consequences.”
Work will be displayed July 14 — August 2, 2014, during the Ann Arbor Art Fair.
The exhibition opening reception will take place from 6 - 8 PM on July 18 at Slusser Gallery.
We are very pleased to have DIA Associate Curator for Contemporary Art Rebecca Hart as the juror for the show.
Rebecca Ruth Hart
Rebecca Ruth Hart is the associate curator of contemporary art for the Detroit Institute of Arts. She was the organizing curator for Shirin Neshat’s mid-career retrospective, co-curator for Julie Mehretu: City Sitings and Artists Take on Detroit: projects for the tricentennial, and curator for Action Reaction and more than ten other exhibitions. She was project manager and curator for the reinstallation of the DIA contemporary collection and specializes in public art and large scale sculpture.
Hart graduated with a Bachelor of Arts degree in art history from Williams College and a Bachelors of Fine Arts, fiber, from Kansas City Art Institute. She earned a Master of Fine Arts degree from the Cranbrook Academy of Arts, fiber and a Master of Arts in art history from Wayne State University, where she received the Mary Kirk Haggerty Award for art historical research. Her work has been recognized by the National Endowment for the Arts, Andy Warhol Foundation for the Visual Arts, the Association of Art Museum Curators, the Joyce Foundation and the Metropolitan Life Foundation.
Grand Prize Winners
- Emir Alibasic: Journey, Oil on Canvas
- Janna Coumoundouros: Artist Warrior, Fashion Design and Metals
- Jim Leija: Untitled, Video
- Nava Atlas: Why You Can’t Get Married: An Unwedding, Digital offset artist’s book
- Ruth Howell: Vestiges of Time-Grandine ai Vincitori, Mixed Media
- Scott Kiefer: Waiwai, Photography
- David Litschell: Massai and Me, Photography
- Leslie Masters-Villani: Color Vibration, Acryllic
- Yvette Rock: Tenuous Equilibrium (Winter 2012), Photography
- M. Sedestrom Guthrie: Wind at Play, Photography
- Betsy Statman-Besl: Fertilitea, Mixed Media: metal, glass, ceramic, plastic
- Ellen Wilt: Burghers, Graphite pencil with collage on extra heavy illustration board
- Robin Wilt: Drone Swarm, Black Crayon Rubbing & Mixed Media