Each year, our Alumni exhibition offers an opportunity for Stamps graduates from across the country and internationally to share their current creative work.
2016: “Horror Vacui”
The theme for the 2016 Stamps Alumni Juried Exhibition is “Horror Vacui”, commonly known as “fear of empty space”. All alumni are invited to submit one work on this theme. Submissions should be recent accomplishments and should not have been featured in a previous alumni show.
Work will be displayed at the Argus II building (400 4th St, Ann Arbor) from July 19 - August 6, 2016, during the Ann Arbor Art Fair (July 21 - 24). Three jury prizes of $500 and 10 honorable mentions will be awarded.
For detailed information on this year's exhibition and an online gallery of work, please visit: 2016 Alumni Exhibition: “Horror Vacui”.
We are very pleased to welcome Museum of Contemporary Art Detroit (MOCAD) Executive Director Elysia Borowy-Reeder as the juror for this show.
As Executive Director of MOCAD, Elysia Borowy-Reeder plays an essential role in establishing the vision, goals, and strategic plans for the organization. Fulfilling MOCAD’s mission through close collaboration with key stakeholders, Borowy-Reeder tirelessly works to sustain the museum and to secure its permanent future in Detroit for generations to come.
Borowy-Reeder joined MOCAD as Executive Director in April of 2013. She is former Founding Director of CAM Raleigh and served in leadership positions at MCA Chicago, Milwaukee Art Museum, and School of the Art Institute of Chicago. Having curated over 40 exhibitions — most recently Rob Pruitt's Obama Paintings and Jose Lerma's La Bella Crisis exhibitions for MOCAD — Borowy-Reeder will curate the largest exhibition of Sanford Biggers’ career in fall 2016. Elysia Borowy-Reeder holds two master degrees from MSU, was named a 2008 Getty Museum Leadership Fellow, and attended Yale School of Management and Antioch College.
Grand Prize Winners
- Melis Agabigum – When you told me to “Go Long,” I should have asked “How Far?”
- Susan Moran – Black Hexagon
- Matthew Zivich – Overboard
- Sarah Brennan – The Process of Forgetting
- Brent Fogt – Untitled
- Jack Lardis – Icarus Ascending
- Juliana Lew – This is why I’m so tired (This is why we’re so tired)
- Tad McKillop – Death
- TJ O’Keefe – F/G
- Michael Sevick – Self Portrait
- Sarah Wiideman – Untitled I & II
- Robin Wilt – Figuring it Out
- Katelyn Wollet – Alone
- April 29, 2016: Entry Due Date (No Late Entries)
- May 20, 2016: Artist Selection Notification (Shipping Info will be provided)
- June 24 - 25, 2016: Artwork Drop-off Deadline / Shipments Received
- July 14, 2016: Award Judging Process
- July 19, 2016: Exhibition Opens
- July 22, 2016: Opening Reception, Award Ceremony (6 - 8 pm) - Argus II Building, 400 4th St.
- August 6, 2016: Exhibition Closes
- August 12 - 13, 2016: Artwork Pick-up