March 19, 2009
Performance is the language that Abramovic, winner of the Golden Lion at the 47th Venice Biennale in 1997, favors for her artistic expression. In performance the body empties itself to serve as a go-between for energy in its passage from matter to spirit and space. Her experiences in Tibet, in Ladakh and among the Australian Aborigines and her studies of various rituals have allowed her to understand how to bring the body to a borderline state.
With support from the UM Institute for Research on Women and Gender, Chelsea’s River Gallery, and MOCAD - Museum of Contemporary Art Detroit.
Unless otherwise noted, all programs take place on Thursdays at 5:10 pm at the historic Michigan Theater, located at 603 E. Liberty Street in downtown Ann Arbor, and are free of charge and open to the public.
- AbramoviÄ‡, Marina. 1998. The Bridge = El Puente: Marina AbramoviÄ‡, Exposición Retrospectiva. Valencia: Editado por/published by Consorci de Museus de la Comunitat Valenciana. Art Architecture & Engineering Library Call Number N 7253 .A27 A24 1998
- AbramoviÄ‡, Marina. 2001. Marina AbramoviÄ‡: Public Body: Installation and Objects, 1965-2001. Milano: Charta. Art Architecture & Engineering Library Call Number N 7253 .A27 A26 2001
- AbramoviÄ‡, Marina. 2006. Marina AbramoviÄ‡Ì•: Balkan Epic. Milano: Skira. AbramoviÄ‡, Marina, and Kelly Gallery Sean. 2003. Marina AbramoviÄ‡: The House with the Ocean View. Milano: Charta. Art Architecture & Library Call Number N 7253 .A25 A4 2006
- AbramoviÄ‡, Marina, and R. Guggenheim Museum Solomon. 2007. 7 Easy Pieces. Milan: Charta. Art Architecture & Engineering Library Call Number NX 571 .Y84 A272 2007
- AKaplan, Janet. 1999. Deeper and deeper: Interview with Marina AbramoviÄ‡. Art Journal 58, no. 2 (Summer): 6.
- Biennale 2009 | Marina AbramoviÄ‡.
- Marina AbramoviÄ‡ - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia.
- Anon. Marina AbramoviÄ‡.
- MARINA AbramoviÄ‡ SEVEN EASY PIECES..
- McEvilley, Thomas. 2003. Performing the present tense. Art in America 91, no. 4 (April): 114.
- N.Paradoxa : Issue 2..
- Anon. Q&A with Performance Artist Marina AbramoviÄ‡.
- Phelan, Peggy. 2004. Marina AbramoviÄ‡: Witnessing Shadows. Theatre Journal 56, no. 4 (December): 569.
- Princenthal, Nancy. 2006. Back for One Night Only! Art in America 94, no. 2 (February): 90..
- Smalec, Theresa. 2006. SEEDBED. Theatre Journal 58, no. 2 (May): 337.