Undergraduate Students

Undergraduate Handbook

Dual Degrees

The University of Michigan refers to the Dual Degree program as “MDDP” (short for “Multiple Dependent Degree Program”). You may also hear the Dual Degree path referred to as a “Joint Degree” or “Double Major.”

Students who wish to pursue two degrees — one from the Stamps School of Art & Design (BFA or BA), and a second from another academic unit (school or college) — are pursuing the Dual Degree path.

Is a dual degree right for me?

The Dual Degree path is a big commitment. As with any big decision, it’s important to pause and ask yourself some tough questions. Here are some to get you started:

  • How many years are you interested in committing to your undergraduate education? (The average length of a Dual Degree path is 5 years.)
  • What financial supports do you have to sustain an extended course of study?
  • What is your desired outcome? How does this fit into your post-graduation future?
Where can I pursue a dual degree?

Stamps students are allowed to pursue a joint degree with LSA, the College of Engineering, the Ross School of Business, the School of Nursing, the School of Kinesiology, the Taubman College of Architecture, and the School of Information. Additionally, a pre-med path is possible at Stamps. To learn more and see a tailored course of study compiled by students who’ve gone the pre-med route, visit stamps.umich.edu/advising/pre-med.

How many credits do I need for a dual degree?

The University requires that a student earn a minimum of 150 credits. In reality, a dual degree often requires more than the minimum because the dual degree student must complete all the requirements for both degrees. The student must earn both degrees simultaneously.

How exactly do I get started?
  • step 1: Meet with an advisor from your target school to get a firm grasp on which courses at that school you’d need to take.
  • step 2: If you didn’t start U-M as a dual degree student, you have to wait until the end of your freshmen year to apply. Karina Moore, the Stamps Director of Admissions, will help you with this: stamps.genbook.com.
How do I register for courses as a dual degree student?

Use Wolverine Access like everyone else. Unfortunately, Wolverine Access will give you the option of registering for classes in either of the two units (for example, Stamps or LSA). Resist the temptation to diversify. Always register in Stamps (unless you’re pursuing a Dual Degree with the Taubman College of Architecture).

How do I apply for graduation as a dual degree student?

You must submit a separate online diploma application for each school.

Can I withdraw from a dual degree program?

Withdrawal from the dual degree program is possible at any time. Stamps students who wish to drop either school/college should email Brian Banks to let him know: stamps.genbook.com

DUAL DEGREE TIPS: Explore a subject area you’re interested in before you commit to it fully. In your first or second year, take your academic electives in the school/subject area you’re interested in. Work with your advisors to find a course that will serve as a good introduction to that subject.