Academic Course Requirements
Are Academics required at Stamps?
Absolutely. Remember, you chose to study art and design at a top-tier research university because you knew that academic inquiry would fuel your creative work in incredible and unexpected ways.
What are the Stamps Academic courses?
Both BFA and BA students must take the following Stamps academic courses:
|Stamps Academic Required Courses||credits|
|Art & Design in Context (ARTDES 150)||3|
|Art and Design History (ARTDES 151)||3|
|Stamps Lecture Series (ARTDES 160)
(1 cr. each semester)*
|Writing in Art & Design (ARTDES 399)**
|*This course meets the Upper Level Writing Requirement for Stamps and for LSA (ULWR).|
What other academic courses do I need to take?
39 Academic Elective Credits are required for BFA, 72 Academic Elective Credits are required for BA.
|First Year Writing (FYWR)||3|
|Social Science (SS)||3|
|Natural Science (NS)||3|
|Analytical Reasoning (MSA, QR/1, QR/2)||3|
|Environmental Studies (ENVIRON)||3|
|Race and Ethnicity (RE)||3|
|2 Art or Design History/Theory/Criticism electives||6-8|
|Upper Level Writing (ULWR) - BA ONLY||3|
How do I know that a course meets one of these areas?
The guide below tells you what to look for:
- FYWR: Look in the LSA Course Guide for courses identified as FYWR
- ULWR: Look in the LSA Course Guide for courses identified as ULWR. ARTDES 399 also meets the requirement.
- ADHTC:: Art/design history/theory/criticism. ARTDES 398, AMCULT 320, AMCULT 335, SAC 236, SAC 272, SAC 313, SLAVIC 312, any course with the subject HISTART or any course cross-listed with HISTART.
- NS: Look in the LSA Course Guide for courses identified as NS
- SS: Look in the LSA Course Guide for courses identified as SS
- ES: Any course in the LSA Course Guide with the subject code ENVIRON. This includes courses cross-listed as ENVIRON. Other courses that meet the requirement are: BIOLOGY 101, 102, 109, and 171; ENGLISH 320 and 328.
- AR: Look in the LSA Course Guide for courses identified as MSA, QR/1 or QR/2, or for any course in logic; PHIL 183
- RE: Look in the LSA Course Guide for courses identified as RE.
- CD: Cultural Diversity. Any course in non-western culture or language; any course that meets RE.
Do I have to take one course in each area?
No. What is required is that you cover these areas in your course selection. You can find courses that meet two or even three of the liberal arts requirements. For example, a student may take Environ 232 to meet the Environmental Studies, Natural Science, and the Analytical Reasoning requirement. Because this course has the codes NS and QR/2 beside it in the LSA Course Guide, it will meet those requirements. As long as that course is worth three credits, you can use it to fulfill more than one area requirement.
Do I need to take a foreign language?
A foreign language is not required, but many students use their elective academic credits to take one to prepare for their International Experience.
Students may use required and elective courses in their pursuit of a minor.
Students may use AP/IB credit as academic electives with the exception of First Year Writing.