Canceled - Witness Lab
February 15, 2020 – May 17, 2020
Following guidance from University administrators and public health officials in response to COVID-19, the University of Michigan Museum of Art is closed until further notice, and all scheduled in-person events and exhibitions have been canceled.
Designed as a courtroom installation and a performance series by Roman J. Witt Artist in Residence Courtney McClellan, Witness Lab frames witnessing as a social and artistic act. The gallery collapses courtroom, theater, classroom, laboratory, and artist studio in order to study the relationship between performance and law. In hosting mock trials, court transcript readings, and trial advocacy workshops, the artist investigates who performs the role of witness in our society and how that understanding may map onto the narrower legal definition of the role. The installation will host legal simulations from participating groups, including the Trial Advocacy Society and the Oral Argument Competition from the University of Michigan Law School, as well as the undergraduate team of the Collegiate American Mock Trial Association. Taking the role of courtroom sketch artists, or court reporters, students from the U-M Stamps School of Art and Design will observe and document the courtroom performances through drawing, text, photography, and video.
Witness Lab is presented in partnership with the Roman Witt Artist in Residence Program of the Stamps School of Art & Design, with lead support provided by the University of Michigan Law School and Office of the Provost.
- Artist Talk with Courtney McClellan: Observer v. Witness / Monday, February 17, 2020, 5:30pm - 7:00pm
- Courtney McClellan: Observer v. Witness / Monday, February 17, 2020, 5:30pm - 7:00pm
- Canceled - The Salem Witch Trials with Professor Len Niehoff’s U-M Law Seminar / Wednesday, March 11, 2020, 5:30pm - 7:30pm
- Canceled - Romeo vs. the City of Verona performed by Greenhills Middle School Drama Class / Friday, March 13, 2020, 1:30pm - 3:00pm
- Canceled - The Salem Witch Trials with Professor Len Niehoff’s U-M Law Seminar / Wednesday, March 18, 2020, 5:30pm - 7:30pm
- Canceled - Artist Reflections with Courtney McClellan: Artist as Researcher / Sunday, March 22, 2020, 3:00pm - 4:30pm
- Canceled - Supreme Court 101 w/ Michigan Supreme Court Chief Justice Bridget McCormack / Tuesday, March 24, 2020, 5:00pm - 6:00pm
- Canceled - Performance in Trial Advocacy with Judge Timothy Connors and Margaret Connors / Wednesday, March 25, 2020, 5:00pm - 8:00pm
- Canceled - Performance in Trial Advocacy with Judge Timothy Connors and Margaret Connors / Wednesday, April 1, 2020, 5:00pm - 8:00pm
- Canceled - Supreme Court 101 w/ Michigan Supreme Court Chief Justice Bridget McCormack / Tuesday, April 7, 2020, 5:00pm - 6:00pm
- Canceled - Gallery Discussion with Courtney McClellan: The Art & Science of Witnessing / Friday, April 10, 2020, 4:00pm - 6:00pm
- Canceled - Film Screening: El Panóptico Ciego (The Blind Panopticon) / Friday, April 10, 2020, 5:30pm - 7:30pm
Irving Stenn, Jr. Family Gallery, University of Michigan Museum of Art (UMMA), 525 South State Street, Ann Arbor MI