Associate Professor, School of Art & Design
Matthew Kenyon was born in Baton Rouge, Louisiana, United States and has a M.F.A in painting and printmaking from Virginia Commonwealth University. He is interested in the convergence of art, emerging technologies and popular culture. Many of his recent works feature interactive computing technologies and artificial intelligence/artificial life as a means for making cultural critique.
Most recently Matt taught at Penn State University’s School of Visual Arts within the New Media and Interdisciplinary Digital Studio programs. At Penn State Matt co-founded and co-directed StudioLab a collaborative space merging laboratory experiments and data analysis in the social science tradition with computer gaming and aesthetic design in the fine arts context.
In 1999 Matt co-founded SWAMP (Studies of Work Atmosphere and Mass Production) with Douglas Easterly. Their work focuses on critical themes addressing the effects of global corporate operations, mass media and communication, military-industrial complexes, and general meditations on the liminal area between life and artificial life. SWAMP has been making work in this vein since 1999 using a wide range of media, including custom software, electronics, mechanical devices, and often times working with living organisms.
Kenyon’s work received the distinguished FILE Prix Lux Art prize as well as first prize in VIDA 7.0 Art and artificial life completion.
Kenyon’s work has been shown at the Museum of Modern Art, NYC; Exit Art, NYC; Science Gallery, Dublin Ireland; The Edith Russ Site for Media, Oldenburg, Germany; The Foundation of Art and Creative Technology, Liverpool, England; SIGGRAPH Art Gallery, San Diego, California.
Kenyon’s work is featured in A Touch of Code (Gestalten press), Art +Science Now (Thames and Hudson press) and Ready-Made magazine as well as in forthcoming books by Dr. Susan Ryan and Carl DiSalvo.
Click thumbnails to view full size.
In the News
- Heidi Kumao, Matt Kenyon Exhibit in Barcelona
- Matt Kenyon: Oil Company “Nationalizes” Artwork Critical of Oil Industry
- Matt Kenyon: Consumer Index at ZKM’s “GLOBALE: Infosphere”
- Matt Kenyon: TED Talk Featured
- Osman Khan & Matt Kenyon Featured in Secret: Nothing to See Here
- Matt Kenyon: CoolHunting 25
- Matt Kenyon: Ted Talk Featured in Wired UK
- Matt Kenyon Presents at Prindle Institute Symposium
- Matt Kenyon to Speak at Global TED2015 Conference
- Matt Kenyon Selected as 2015 TED Fellow
- Matt Kenyon: Master Class in Moscow
- Matt Kenyon and Irina Aristarkhova Present in Moscow
- Making Hacked: Labor, Free Culture & Citizen Science
- Stamps Faculty Featured: ISEA 2014, Dubai
- Matt Kenyon’s Work at FILE 2014 Reviewed
- Kenyon Presents at Chautauqua Institution
- Matt Kenyon Presents at the American Sociological Association
- Matt Kenyon Shows Two Pieces at FILE 2014
- Matt Kenyon Featured in “Practice Theory”
- Matt Kenyon’s Supermajor Featured in ILLUSION: Nothing Is As It Seems
- Stop Making Sense: Constructs and Narratives, Real and Imagined
- State of Emergency Features Kenyon’s Notepad project
- Stamps at Re-New Festival
- Matt Kenyon: Coke is it at Parodic Machines
- Matt Kenyon’s Supermajor Featured: thisiscolossal
- Matt Kenyon: Supermajor in Argentina
- Matthew Kenyon: Science Gallery
- Matt Kenyon: Drive-Thru Art Show features Meat Helmet