Minors for Stamps Students
How many credits are required to complete a minor?
In most cases, a minor requires the completion of 16-18 credits (5-6 courses). Each minor has its own structure of prerequisites, requirements, and elective choices (check with the unit or school in which you are doing the minor). Both the BA and BFA in Art & Design have room for minors. Many students finish in four years with a minor.
Can I have a minor from any school at the University?
Almost. Stamps recognizes all the minors offered by the College of Literature, Science and the Arts (LSA); the School of Music, Theatre and Dance; the College of Engineering’s Multidisciplinary Design minor; and the School of Social Work’s Community Action and Social Change minor; the Ross School of Business minor; and Innovate Blue’s Minor in Entrepreneurship.
- For information about LSA minors, including a current list of minors, go to lsa.umich.edu/students/academicsrequirements/majorsminors
- For more information about the School of Music, Theatre & Dance, go to: music.umich.edu
- For more information about Multidisciplinary Design, go to engin.umich.edu/minors/multidisciplinarydesign
- For more information about Community Action and Social Change, go to ssw.umich.edu/programs/undergrad
- For more information about Innovate Blue and the minor in entrepreneurship, go to innovateblue.umich.edu/academics
How do I get started?
Discuss the minor with an advisor from the relevant discipline (school or college, department, office) and with your Stamps advisor.
Can I minor in Marketing?
You can get a business minor with Ross, but it won’t specifically be in Marketing. You don’t need to be a business minor to study that though; visit the Ross website to see a full list of courses for non-business majors: michiganross.umich.edu/programs/non-business-undergraduate-electives
One semester before graduation, let your advisor in the relevant discipline know that you will need a minor release. This information will go to the records coordinator in Stamps. Students who fail to submit proper paperwork risk losing the minor when they graduate!
Will I need to go an extra semester to get a minor?
Not usually. If you begin the minor late, you may have to enroll an extra semester, but most students manage to complete the minor on time. Hint: careful planning of your courses is crucial. Sometimes required courses in Stamps also count as courses in the minor. All students have electives they have to take, so take them in your minor.
NOTE: Only one ARTDES studio course may be used to meet the requirements of a minor.