- Penny W. Stamps School of Art & Design Style Guide
- Program Names
- Institution Names
- Position Names, Position Titles
- Groups of People, Teams
- Place Names
- Studio Names
- Curriculum Component Names
- Events, Shows, Exhibitions
- Exhibition / Public Programs Usage
Penny W. Stamps School of Art & Design Style Guide
The Stamps School of Art & Design utilizes the Chicago Manual of Style for editorial consistency. This includes use of the serial (or Oxford) comma and spelling out whole numbers from zero through one hundred.
One area where Stamps diverges from Chicago Manual is the spacing between em dashes. We do this to aid in digital legibility, as this is one of our primary distribution channels.
- Example: When the car was finally delivered — nearly three months after it was ordered — she’d already grown fond of riding the bus.
- Instead of: When the car was finally delivered—nearly three months after it was ordered—she’d already grown fond of riding the bus.
En dashes may also adopt spaces in design contexts where extra padding allows for greater legibility. In text though, en dashes should not have spaces:
- June 6-June 8 (Not June 6 - June 8)
Additionally, there are a few “Stamps-specific” text items that we should all be aware of and use in tandem.
Don’t use ampersand within program names - (i.e., art & design).
- Bachelor of Fine Arts in Art and Design
- BFA in Art and Design
- Bachelor of Fine Arts in Interarts Performance
- BFA in Interarts Performance
- Bachelor of Arts in Art and Design
- BA in Art and Design
- Master of Design in Integrative Design
- MDes in Integrative Design
- Master of Fine Arts in Art
- MFA in Art
- Bachelor’s degree
- Master’s degree
- Roman J. Witt Visiting Artists Programs
- Roman J. Witt Residency
- Roman J. Witt Visitors
When introducing the school, please use our full name: Penny W. Stamps School of Art & Design at the University of Michigan. Once you’ve introduced the school properly, text can use any of the following informal names:
- Stamps School of Art & Design (not …Stamps School of Art and Design)
- Stamps School
- Stamps (never STAMPS in all caps)
- …the school… (not capitalized)
- “art and design” when referring to the disciplines - do not use art & design when referring to the two disciplines.
University of Michigan
- …the university… (not capitalized)
- U-M (not UM)
Position Names, Position Titles
Capitalization of Position Titles:
Title references immediately preceding a person’s name are capitalized:
- “Associate Dean Elona Van Gent works long hours…”
References to job positions should not be capitalized:
- “Elona Van Gent, associate dean, works long hours”
This also holds true for position references that precede a person’s name:
- “We realized that being associate dean for academic programs is more fun than anyone could imagine.”
- “The associate dean for academic programs is Elona Van Gent.”
- Dean Nadarajan
- …the dean… (not capitzlized)
- Provost Pollack; Provost Martha E. Pollack
- …the provost…
- Associate Dean for Academic Programs, Proper Name…
- …the associate dean…
- Associate Dean for Creative Practice, Research and Strategic Initiatives, Proper Name…
- …the associate dean…
- Assistant Dean for Undergraduate Programs, Proper Name…
- …the assistant dean…
The same capitalization rules from above apply to the following:
- The career development coordinator…
- The chief administrative officer…
- The chief of staff…
- The course cohort leader(s)…
- The director of communications and marketing…
- The director of international study programs…
- The director of visitors programs…
- The foundation director…
- The gallery director…
- The graduate program coordinator…
- The graduate program director…
- The interarts program director…
- The IP coordinator…
- The lecturer(s) (not part-time faculty; not contingent faculty; not adjunct faculty)
- The MDes program director…
- The MFA program director…
- The recruiting and admissions coordinator…
- The second-year studio coordinator…
- The social engagement coordinator…
- The studio coordinator…
- The tenured and tenure-track faculty (not capitalized) (not “full-time faculty”)
- The t/tt faculty…
- The undergraduate co-director…
- Executive Committee
- Graduate Committee (not Graduate Program Committee)
- Programs Committee
- Undergraduate Committee (not Undergraduate Program Committee)
- Exhibitions, Performances and Visitors Committee
- Creative Practice and Research Committee
- Rules and Nominations Committee
- Faculty Awards Committee
- Student Appeals and Grievances Committee
- Academic Resources Committee
- International Engagement Committee
- National Engagement Committee
- Lecturer Review Committee
- Graduate Review Committee (GRC) (ad-hoc)
Groups of People, Teams
Capitalize when used as proper nouns but not when used as a group of people:
- Executive leadership: dean, associate deans, chief administrative officer, chief of staff.
- The senior staff: dean; chief administrative officer; chief of staff; and heads of: academic programs, academic services, admissions, facilities, development, and communications.
- Faculty Council – this is a proper name.
- FTE faculty (full-time equivalents) – does not include dean and associate deans
Offices refer to geographical locations within our school that are either shared open spaces or where the “department” is a team of one.
- Communications Office
- ECHO (Equipment Check Out Office)
- Facilities Office
- Office of the Provost
- Stamps Gallery — not The Stamps Gallery, not Penny Stamps Gallery. Just Stamps Gallery.
Stamps Office (a term to direct visitors to the building to the “glowing sign” and check-in desk. The Stamps Office houses individual offices, plus the following spaces that use the “office” terminology):
- Dean’s Office
- SWAPC – Smucker Wagstaff Academic Programs Center
- International Engagement Office
When referring to the individuals who work in Stamps offices, please use individual names/titles or a unifying noun such as “Team” or “Department.”
- Admissions Department or Admissions Team (not Admissions Office, as there are individuals housed in different offices)
- Communications Department or Communications Team
- Development Department or Development Team
- Finance Department or Finance Team
- HR Department or HR Team
- Art & Architecture Building
- Faculty and Graduate Studios
- North Campus
- South Campus
- Stamps Gallery
- US (not U.S.)
- Work Commons (not Student Commons, never Slusser)
- Computational Media
- Digital Fabrication
- Digital Print Lab
- Equipment Checkout Office (ECHO)
- Maskell Metals Studio
- Metalsmithing/Jewelry Design Studio
- Medium-Specific Instructional Studios
- Multipurpose Instructional Studios
- Print Media
- Sculpture Studio
- Stamps Senior Studios
- Video Classroom
- Video Studio
Curriculum Component Names
- Corridor Display Venues
- Curriculum Designer – NOT: Curriculum Navigator; Course Navigator; Curriculum Pathways Tool; Stamps Course Tool
- Dual Degree
- First-Year Review (MDes and MFA)
- First-Year Report (FYR)
- International Experience – BFA, BA milestone (capitalize when referring to this specific milestone, do not capitalize when referring to experiences that are international).
- International Project – MFA milestone (capitalize when referring to this specific milestone, do not capitalize when referring to experiences that are international).
- Social Engagement (not National Engagement)
Events, Shows, Exhibitions
- Graduate Thesis Exhibition
- Penny Stamps Distinguished Speakers Series (once introduced fully, can be shortened to Penny Stamps Speaker Series)
- Undergraduate Juried Exhibition (fall)
- Stamps Senior Show (spring)
- First Year MFA Exhibition
Exhibition / Public Programs Usage
- Stamps exhibitions should be italicized in copy.
- Reach: A Stamps Faculty Exhibition
Stamps exhibitions are on view during a specific date range (they aren’t “available” or “running from” or “up”).
- Reach: A Stamps Faculty Exhibition, on view Tuesday, May 16-Saturday July 8, 2017 in the Stamps Gallery (201 S. Division St., Ann Arbor).
When writing about exhibitions, please avoid verbs and nouns that may minimize scholarly / social relevance or have consumer implications. “Showcasing / showcase / display / displaying” are words that commonly come up.
- CORRECT USAGE: Reach: A Stamps Faculty Exhibition brings together a cross-section of rigorous and research-based works that highlight the range and diversity of creative practices emerging from the University of Michigan’s Stamps School of Art & Design.
- INCORRECT USAGE: Reach: A Stamps Faculty Exhibition showcases a cross-section of rigorous and research-based works that highlight the range and diversity of creative practices emerging from the University of Michigan’s Stamps School of Art & Design.
The Stamps Gallery is treated as a Stamps School venue, not a stand-alone presenter.
- CORRECT USAGE: The University of Michigan Stamps School of Art & Design is pleased to announce Reach: A Stamps Faculty Exhibition, on view Tuesday, May 16-Saturday July 8, 2017 in the new downtown Ann Arbor Stamps Gallery
- INCORRECT USAGE: The Stamps Gallery presents Reach: A Stamps Faculty Exhibition.
Similarly, the Speaker Series is treated as a Stamps program in text, not as a stand-alone venture.
- CORRECT USAGE: The Stamps School of Art & Design at the University of Michigan is pleased to announce the Penny Stamps Distinguished Speakers Series fall 2016 lineup.
- INCORRECT USAGE: The Penny Stamps Distinguished Speakers Series announces speakers for fall 2016.
- CORRECT USAGE: The Stamps School of Art & Design presents the Penny Stamps Distinguished Speaker Series, featuring visual artist Sanford Biggers on September 16, 2016.
- INCORRECT USAGE: The Penny Stamps Distinguished Speakers Series presents Sanford Biggers on September 16, 2016.