Art Architecture and Engineering Library
The Art, Architecture and Engineering Library (AAEL) located in the Duderstadt Center serves the School of Art & Design, the College of Engineering, the College of Architecture and Urban Planning and many other units across the University of Michigan. Works relating to most aspects of the field of contemporary fine and studio art are available in this library.
- Video Games
- Patents and Trademarks
- Visual Resources (slides, digital images, videos and dvds)
- Special Collections (rare, fragile, or limited editions)
- Artists’ Books
- Comic Books
- Special Items for Check-out – The AAEL offers various special items for checkout, including digital cameras and laptop locks. They are available on a first-com, first-served basis.
- Multimedia Items for Sale – The AAEL has a number of materials available for purchase at the Reserves Desk on the 2nd floor, such as CD-Rs, DVD-Rs, and mini DVs.
- Study Rooms – Study rooms may be reserved for up to 4 hours at a time, up to 3 days in advance. You can reserve a room online at the AAEL website via the “Study Room Reservations” link.
- Photocopying and Scanning – Copiers are available at several locations in the AAEL. They require copy cards, which may be purchased from a dispenser on the 1st floor or at the 2nd floor Reserves Desk. Scanners are available at computing clusters throughout the Library.
Library-to-Library Delivery – Use this service to have books from other libraries delivered to the campus library of your choice. Delivery requests can be made through Mirlyn: Log in, search for the book, click on “What Libraries Have” holdings link, then click on the “Get This” link.
Interlibrary Loan – When books and articles are not available at the UM Library, you may request copies through Interlibrary Loan. To Place a request go to: http://ill.lib.umich.edu .
7-Fast – 7-Fast offers delivery of books and articles to all faculty, graduate students and proxies for free. They also deliver UM materials to undergraduates and staff, online and on campus for $3.75 per request. For more information and to use the service, go to: http://www.lib.umich.edu/7fast/ .
Listed here are the main online resources that you will need to get started in your research.
Art & Design Library Guide - Guide to the basic art and design resources at the University of Michigan.
Mirlyn, the online UM Library Catalog, provides location, call number, and availability information for materials owned by the UM Libraries. Items may be renewed, recalled, or requested for delivery via Mirlyn.
Search Tools – Search Tools is a gateway to all of the electronic resources available to University of Michigan faculty and students. Use Search Tools to find individual journal articles in many subject areas.
AAEL Website – For a selected list of online resources specific to art & design see the AAEL website. You will also find quick access to the most frequently used databases, a complete list of services, and guides geared toward specific research areas.
University Libraries Overview
The University of Michigan Library in Ann Arbor is one the largest university library systems in the United States. The Library system is made up of 19 libraries in 11 buildings, which, taken together, hold over 8 million volumes. The University of Michigan Library has one of the finest and most comprehensive collections of any academic research library in the world. The Library not only collects books and periodicals, but also provides access to thousands of electronic journals, news sources, and databases. In addition, the Library as superb collections of maps, films, rare books, artists’ books, comic books and other treasures.
The UM Library provides a wealth of resources to aid students and scholars in the School of Art & Design.
A valid MCard is required to check out materials. Faculty have a loan period of 8 weeks with 6 renewals for regularly circulating materials. Loan periods for other materials may vary:
- Books (regularly circulating): 8 weeks
- Journals and Reference: do not circulate
- Reserve Materials: 2-4 hours
- Career Materials: 3 days, no renewals
- Videos and most CD-ROMs: 3 days
A&D Field Librarian
The Interim Art & Design Field Librarian, Jamie Lausch Vander Broek, serves the students, faculty, and staff in the School of Art & Design. See her for assistance with library resources, help with CTOOLs, and for any library instruction for you or your students. Make an appointment by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org
Your Art & Design Field Librarian offers tours of the Library facilities, course-related instruction, and in-depth sessions tailored to your curriculum. Contact email@example.com schedule a session.
The Art, Architecture and Engineering Library in the Duderstadt Center can make course reserves available in the Library and electronically via Ctools. To place materials on reserve, contact staff at the 2nd floor AAEL Reserves Desk or submit requests via email to: firstname.lastname@example.org .
For more information please see the “Course Reserves” link on the AAEL website at: http://www.lib.umich.edu/course-reserves
The Knowledge Navigation Center in the Graduate Library provides an ongoing selection of workshops on library resources, as well as a wide range of technology topics. The KNC also provides numerous online guides for self-study and troubleshooting.
Check out the upcoming workshops at: http://www.lib.umich.edu/knc/ .