Faculty/Staff Resources


Drugs and Alcohol

The legal drinking age in Michigan is 21. The University prohibits unlawful possession, use, or distribution of alcohol or illicit drugs by faculty, staff, or students on University property or as part of any University event. Alcohol may not be served or consumed during any class, meeting, seminar, or critique.

Back to Top

Keys & Keycard Access

Faculty and staff are issued keys for their offices and other pertinent locations in the Art & Architecture Building and have access to all keycard-protected locations in the Art & Architecture Building via their M-Cards. Graduate students may request keys for the studio of their major area and for their individual studio.   Undergraduate students are provided keycard access (through University-issued M-Cards) to approved locations. See A&D Studio Descriptions to download after-hours studio access forms.  

The Director of Facilities oversees access to facilities and approves requests for keys and keycard access. A refundable deposit of $10.00 is required for each key. Key deposits are returned when keys are returned. If a key is lost, there is a $100.00 rekeying charge. 

Faculty, staff and students are not allowed strongly encouraged not to prop open doors, leave the building open, or admit people to any facility whom they are not prepared to supervise during times when the School is closed. This action minimizes all student security and violators will be reported to the UofM Department of Public Services. No key to any School of Art & Design facility may be reproduced.

For additional information, see: Studio Access Policy for Students.

Back to Top


Lockers are available to employees and students at no charge on a first come, first serve basis. At the end of the school year, we will clearly pose a “removal date” by which all lockers must be emptied. After that point the locks will be cut off and the material discarded.

Back to Top


The use of bicycles, rollerblades, and skateboards is not permitted inside the Art & Architecture building. Bicycles should be parked in the bicycle racks outside the building.

Back to Top

Handicap Access

Automatic doors have been installed in the northwest Bonisteel Blvd. building entrance and in the men’s and women’s restrooms on each floor. There is one elevator on the east side of the building near the Slusser Gallery.

Back to Top


Except for guide dogs, animals are not permitted in University buildings.

Back to Top

Public Display of Artwork


We strongly encourage the public display of your artwork within our school building. Students can use one of the four A&D exhibition venues, one of the many corridor display cases or display work within the public corridors. Prior approval is required before work can be displayed in any of these locations:

To set up a show within one of the four exhibition venues (Robbins, Slusser, Work•Ann Arbor, or Work•Detroit), please contact the venue’s Director of Exhibitions. Director contact information can be found  in the Exhibitions section of this website.


To place your artwork within one of our many corridor display cases, or for more information on Intersections, please see the Exhibitions: Intersections section of this page.

Back to Top


The Art & Architecture Building, including the upstairs courtyard, is a non-smoking environment. Smoking is permitted only outdoors. There are containers to stash your butts at each entrance. All buildings on campus are non-smoking facilities.

Back to Top


Lockers are available for semester-long storage of personal items, but storage for creative work is limited, and students should bear this in mind when developing their projects. Students frequently make special arrangements with studio coordinators to store large scale works during the term. Twice during the year at the end of fall and at the end of winter term, the School clears the studios and classrooms of all unclaimed work. Throw Away Day is widely publicized on email and on posters around the building in advance and occurs in mid-December and in early May. Lockers are emptied in May.

Back to Top

Studio Access - Undergraduate Students

Generally there are two major types of studios, multi-purpose studios and equipment-based studios. Equipment based studios are controlled by card reader access. Multi-purpose studios are generally not. During normal school hours, Monday - Friday, studios are open and have scheduled classes. For work during the day, outside of your scheduled class times, talk to the Studio Coordinator to confirm availability of studio.  

For equipment-based studios, after hour access is available 24/7 by use of a card reader. Please talk with your Studio Coordinator and fill out the appropriate forms. If you misuse the studios, damage equipment, act unsafely, or allow others without access into the studios, your after hour access will be terminated.

The School of Art & Design promotes an open-door policy for studio use, yet recognizes the need to regulate the use of certain studios in the interest of student safety. Students have access to the building and to the open studios (e.g., drawing and painting) twenty-four hours a day through their University M-cards. Equipment-dependent studios are available for students to use through their University M-cards when they are registered for a course in an equipment-dependent studio or when they have completed the course and have received clearance from the studio coordinator to use the studio. For safety reasons the wood studio is closed when no attendant is present.

Students registered for Integrative Project each receive an individual studio for which they sign a contract. A copy of the contract is represented in the Appendix.

Studios are not open to students who are not enrolled in an Art & Design course.

Back to Top

Medical Emergencies

Call 911 to report a serious accident or injury.  For additional details, see the Safety and Security section. 

Back to Top



There are free campus telephones in the hallway outside the School of Art & Design Dean’s Office (Room 2055), across from the Metals Studio (Room 1069), and near the Sculpture Studio (Room 1258). When using a campus telephone, dial only the last five digits of the number to call another campus phone.


Back to Top

Safety and Security


Maintaining a Safe and Secure Environment

The School endeavors to maintain a safe and secure environment for its faculty, staff, students, and visitors. Those in supervisory roles are responsible for maintaining conditions that provide for the safety, well being, and safe conduct of all individuals who report to them and for those who may use their area. Faculty are responsible for setting good examples in safe conduct and for ensuring that their students, and colleagues are aware of safety procedures and requirements. (See SPG 605.1.) 

The following safety guidelines are recommended:

  • Respond immediately as directed by emergency or other authorized personnel.
  • Make sure that doors and windows are shut and locked when areas are not in use. Do not prop open doors or allow individuals entry into areas after hours. 
  • Keep valuable personal property locked in drawers or cabinets.
  • Report any lost or stolen keys immediately to the Facilities Office and the appropriate supervisor.
  • Report all threats of violence immediately to a supervisor. If confronted by a potentially violent person, call 911.
  • Call 911 immediately to report a crime in progress. To report a crime that has already occurred, call the Department of Public Safety at 763-1131.
  • Ensure that first-aid supplies are well maintained and kept in a visible, accessible location.
  • Report all work-related accidents (see Work-Related Injuries).
  • Ensure that A&D Human Resources staff have a current emergency contact for each faculty and staff member. 
  • Whenever possible, ensure that public-access work areas (offices, galleries) have a minimum of two workers scheduled at all times. If staff or student assistants must work alone, ensure that appropriate safety and security measures are in place.
  • Notify the Facilities Office immediately of problems with fire alarms or other fire-protection devices.
  • Use, store, and dispose of all flammable and combustible liquids and toxic materials appropriately and in accordance with OSEH guidelines.
  • When not in use, shut off coffee pots and other devices that may pose a potential fire hazard.
  • Report any unsafe building condition immediately to the Facilities Office.

The Role of the A&D Director of Facilities

The A&D Director of Facilities, in collaboration with Studio Coordinators and School administrators, is responsible for implementing and maintaining safety and security measures for A&D facilities. 

University of Michigan Department of Public Safety (DPS)

DPS is a full-service law enforcement agency with the authority and responsibility to investigate, search, arrest and use reasonable force as necessary to protect persons and property and to enforce the laws of the State of Michigan and the Ordinance of the Regents of the University of Michigan. 

911 calls from campus phones are received and handled by DPS. Non-emergency situations can be reported by calling 763-1131. Several phones have been installed throughout the Art & Architecture building that can access security services without cost to the caller. DPS has a North Campus office located in the basement of the Pierpont Commons building. 


Illness or Injury

In case of illness or injury:

  • For serious accidents such as amputation, chest pain, loss of consciousness or trauma, call 911 to have individual transported to nearest Emergency Department.
  • For all other accidents involving University employees, refer them to MWorks, 2098 South Main Street, 998-8788.
  • For all other accidents involving students, refer them to Health Services, 207 Fletcher, 763-4511.
  • Accidents occurring after hours should be referred to UMHS Emergency Room.

All accidents involving employees must be investigated and reports filed with Work~Connections and Art & Design using the following procedures:


Report the incident immediately to the employee’s direct supervisor or to the Dean’s Office, and include the following information:

  • Description of incident and what caused the injury or illness
  • Date/time incident took place
  • Location
  • Nature of injury (ex. burn, strain)
  • Name(s) of witness(es)
  • Part of body affected

If medical treatment is required, the employee will be referred to one of the University’s designated treatment facilities by completing an Work~Connections Illness or Injury Report Form.  This form is available at: http://www.umich.edu/~connect/forms.htm

For treatment anytime Monday through Friday 7:00 am – 5:00 pm, go to the MWorks Occupational Health Clinic which is located at the University of Michigan Hospital, 1500 East Medical Center Drive, (734) 998-8788.  The entrance is through the Emergency Department.  A valet attendant will park your car for free. After regular business hours, report directly to the Emergency Department-Urgent Care Clinic at the University of Michigan Hospital.


Report all incidents immediately to the Dean’s Office to ensure that the information can be communicated to Work~Connections within 24 hours of the occurrence.  The following information should be reported:

  • Description of incident and what caused the injury or illness
  • Date/time incident took place
  • Location
  • Nature of injury (ex. burn, strain)
  • Name(s) of witness(es)
  • Part of body affected
  • If the employee accepted or declined treatment
  • When the employee returned or will return to work
  • How any work restrictions are being accommodated 
  • Any actions you have taken to prevent this incident from reoccurring

Forward to the HR Coordinator a copy of the MWorks employer referral form.

In cooperation with Work~Connections staff, the employee, supervisor, and treatment professionals, a return-to-work plan will be developed for the employee that includes any necessary accommodations.


When a student becomes ill or is injured while in A&D facilities or during a School-sponsored activity, the Smucker-Wagstaff Academic Programs Center should be notified with the following information:

  • Description of incident and what caused the injury or illness
  • Date/time incident took place
  • Location
  • Nature of injury (ex. burn, strain)
  • Name(s) of witness(es)
  • Part of body affected

If non-emergency medical treatment is required, the student may be referred to the University’s Health Services, 207 Fletcher, 763-4511.

Campus-Wide Emergency

The University of Michigan offers UM Emergency Alert, a mass, urgent notification system to notify students, faculty and staff of an active, major campus emergency. Notification can be received via text messages (SMS) to cell phones, voice messages to phones, and via email.

When DPS determines there is an active emergency in which the public safety of the campus may be at risk, DPS will initiate an urgent notification through the UM Emergency Alert system. Examples of active emergencies include but are not limited to: when a person actively shooting a weapon is on the loose; when a tornado is predicted to strike the campus area; or when a major hazardous material spill impacts a large portion of campus. Localized incidents within a building (such as a small fire or hazardous material spill in a lab) will likely not require a mass notification.

In order to receive urgent notification alert messages, faculty, staff and students may register via Wolverine Access.  Two telephone or cell phone numbers and a device to receive text messages may be registered. Additionally, the University automatically will register all faculty, staff and student umich email addresses. 


When witnessing a fire or explosion:

  • Pull the fire alarm. This will alert everyone in the building and DPS.
  • If possible, call 911 and give the exact location and extent of the fire and any special circumstances that could be hazardous, such as chemicals or faulty equipment.
  • If possible, call the A&A Facilities Office 734-615-5973.
  • If possible, shut off any electrical equipment that may be involved.

When a fire alarm sounds:

  • Evacuate the building utilizing the posted evacuation route.  
  • USE THE STAIRS. DO NOT USE THE ELEVATOR. If an evacuation occurs for any reason, the use of the elevator is reserved for the Fire Department.
  • Assist injured or disabled persons in evacuating the area.
  • Do not re-enter the building (even if the fire alarm bells/horns stop) until advised to do so by authorized personnel (DPS, Facilities Office staff, or Fire Department personnel).

Bomb Threats

In the unlikely event that information regarding a bomb threat is received, remain calm and observant. Try to find out as much information as possible, such as the location of the bomb and time the bomb is set to go off, and write down the exact words used in the threat. If the threat is received by telephone, record the exact time and duration of the call, and make note of potential leads, such as the kind of voice and any identifying traits and background noises.

Call 911 immediately, giving all the details.  Do not take further action unless advised by DPS.

Severe Weather

In the event of severe weather warnings, such as tornadoes, high winds and other natural catastrophes, all faculty, staff and students will be advised to seek shelter immediately.  It is expected that instructions provided by Facilities staff and/or emergency personnel, including a request to move students to a secure area of the building, will be followed. 

Back to Top

Spray Painting

Spray painting of your artwork is only allowed within the six spray booths located throughout the building. Spraying outside is strictly prohibited. 

Back to Top


In each studio and through the school are many recycling containers. Each area has “Paper”, “Containers” (plastic) and “Trash”. To minimize what we put in our landfills, please use the appropriate recycling containers.

Back to Top


Metered parking is available in University parking lots behind the A&A building off Fuller Road and off Murfin Road in the lot behind Pierpont Commons. The cost is 80¢ per hour.

Student parking permits are available to Junior, Senior and Graduate Students only. Freshmen and Sophomore students are not eligible for parking permits; however, students – as well as faculty and staff – may park at one of the Ann Arbor Transportation Authority (AATA) Park & Ride lots and ride the bus for free by showing their valid University o Michigan MCard to the bus driver.

Students must be registered for classes to purchase permits. Generally, parking for students at the University of Michigan is limited, and we strongly encourage students to leave their vehicles at home. There are many services available for moving around campus and the City of Ann Arbor. Personal vehicles are not usually necessary.

Freshmen and sophomore students with exceptional needs who require the use of their vehicles may appeal the parking eligibility policy by completing a UM Student Parking Appeal Form.

For more information, please visit the University’s Parking and Transportation Services website.

Back to Top

Reserving Space

Space for regularly-scheduled classes is assigned at the beginning of each semester. For space needs outside of regularly-scheduled classes, rooms in the Art & Architecture Building may be reserved as follows:



A&D Courtyard

Consult CTools for availability, and contact the A&D Facilities Office (615-5973) to schedule.

Street Gallery (Corridor outside Slusser Gallery)

Consult CTools for availability, and contact the A&D Facilities Office (615-5973) to schedule.


Contact the Smucker-Wagstaff Academic Programs Center (764-0397) to schedule.




Consult CTools for availability, and contact the Smucker-Wagstaff Academic Programs Center (764-0397) to schedule.








Consult the schedule posted by the classroom door. If space is available when needed, post a notice near the schedule indicating the date/time the room is reserved and the name of the person reserving the space.










Consult the posted (paper) schedule located near the mail room, and write in the name of the event. When possible, adding the name or uniqname of a contact person for the event is helpful.

Back to Top

University Computing Sites

The University provides several public access workstations for use by University students, faculty, and staff. Users need a valid uniqname and a UMICH password. Many of the campus sites are available around-the-clock with a University ID card. Hours of operation are available at http://www.umich.edu/~sites/hours.

General use Campus Computing Sites on Central Campus are:

Angell Hall Courtyard:
Room 444, Angell Hall
Caident: Room B344, Dental School Building
Learning Resource Center (LRC): Room 3950, Taubman Medical Center
North University Building (NUBS): Room 1000, North University Building
School of Education (SEB): Room 3010, School of Education Building
School of Natural Resources (SNRE): Room 2315, Dana Building
School of Nursing (NIB): Room 4210, 400 N. Ingalls Building
School of Public Health (SPH): Room G442, SPH II Building
Shapiro Undergraduate Library: Room 2054, Shapiro Library
Michigan Union: Basement Level
West Hall: Room 120, West Hall

General use Campus Computing Sites on North Campus are:

Art & Architecture: Room 2016, Art & Architecture Building
Duderstadt Center: Multiple Sites
School of Music: Room 2231, Moore Building

Back to Top



A number of transportation options are available for transporting classes, groups of students, or individual faculty, staff, and students as part of University or School activities. Drivers must be University faculty, staff or students, at least 18 years of age, and properly licensed in accordance with the laws of the State of Michigan. Individuals not affiliated with the University (visitors, speakers, representatives from other universities, spouses of University personnel, etc.) are prohibited from driving University vehicles. University vehicles must be parked on University property when not in use, drivers are responsible for any moving or parking violations, and smoking and alcoholic beverages are prohibited. Transportation requests for the options noted below are handled through the Dean’s Office – a&dtransport@umich.edu – and should be submitted well in advance of the date of the activity.

To request use of a vehicle, go to the A&D Transportation Request Form.

A&D Van

The A&D van is available for use by faculty, staff, and students for School-related events and activities. The van seats 7 comfortably and is parked in the parking lot behind the Art & Architecture building. A calendar of scheduled use can be found on CTools (ctools.umich.edu).  

Maskell Express

The Maskell Express bus, made possible through a generous donation by Odette and Richard Maskell, is available for field trips and other School activities. The Maskell Express seats 22 comfortably, and is parked in the loading-dock area of the Art & Architecture building.  A calendar of scheduled use can be found on CTools (ctools.umich.edu). Proof of a valid commercial driver’s license (minimum Class C license with a passenger endorsement) is required to drive the Express, and hiring of properly-licensed drivers is handled by the Dean’s Office. 

University Vehicles

The University maintains a rental fleet of vehicles (sedans, station wagons, and minivans) for use while conducting University business. Vehicles are typically rented only for faculty or staff use, and a valid shortcode will be needed to secure a vehicle.

Buses and Charter Services

The University maintains a fleet of buses available for local charter service.  In addition, area public school districts (seasonal) and commercial charter services are also available for local, regional and long-distance trips.  Charters must be schedule well in advance (minimum one month recommended) to ensure availability. 

Back to Top


Call 911 immediately to report a crime or theft in progress. All thefts should be reported immediately to the Director of Facilities (615-5973), and to University Security (763-1131). Secure your supplies, your personal belongings, and your artwork to the extent you possibly can. On balance, the Art & Architecture Building is a safe, crime-free environment. Don't tempt the fates with carelessness.

Back to Top

Exhibitions: Intersections

The Intersections program displays artwork by A&D faculty and students in the Art & Architecture Building’s corridor display cases. Please see the Intersections Map (PDF) for a detailed diagram of these cases.

To install your work within the public corridors, please fill out and submit the Intersections Installation Proposal Form (PDF). All installations must comply with public building and fire codes; please see Intersections Installation Code (PDF) for details.

Back to Top